Congratulations. You have created your business Facebook page. You have succeeded in getting people to like your page. Now how do you keep your fans engaged? What do you post?

Here are 10 tips to help you keep your Facebook business page fresh and interesting.

  1. Include an image or video. Posts with only text often are ignored.
  2. Search Twitter for topics to write about.
  3. Make 80 percent of your posts helpful or fun for your readers. The other 20 percent can be marketing messages.
  4. Be yourself. People want to communicate with a person, not a business. Don’t be afraid to reveal a little about yourself now and then.
  5. Get people interacting on your page by occasionally asking questions that require little effort to answer. They should be fun questions, for example, “What would be the best filling for a hamburger-flavored cupcake?” or “If the calendar was to include a 13th month, what would it be called?”
  6. Feature content from your fans. Ask them to submit a photo of themselves using a product you sell, for instance.
  7. Include a call to action and tell your fans how this action helps them. Examples: “Take this short survey and learn the secrets of perfect lawn mowing,” or “Download our ebook and find out how you can streamline your cluttered inbox.”
  8. Take two hours each week to write and schedule your posts for the week. Remember to include weekends and evenings in your schedule.
  9. Be authentic and transparent. If you make a mistake, admit it.
  10. Pay attention to your fans. Reply and comment on their posts.

 

By Barbara Moore Democrat and Chronicle, Rochester, New York May 15, 2012